Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) can help towards the extra costs of bringing up a child with a disability.

DLA is also:

  • not means-tested (your financial circumstances will not be taken into account)
  • not taxable, and
  • does not reduce other benefits. In some cases DLA can increase the amount of benefit you get, or help you to qualify for other benefits (such as Carer’s Allowance and/ or tax credits).

For more information about DLA and to apply:

GOV.UK - Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (external website)

Personal Independence Payment

Young people over the age of 16 years cannot claim DLA. Instead you must apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

PIP is gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16 – 64 years.

Who can claim for PIP:

You can claim PIP if your disability or health condition means that one or both of the following are true:

  • you need help looking after yourself
  • you have difficulties walking.

For more information about PIP and to apply:

GOV.UK - Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (external website)

There are a number of services that can provide you with support when applying for DLA and PIP:

National services


Cerebra provide a useful guide to applying, this can be found online:

Cerebra - DLA Guide (external website)


Can also provide support during your application:

Tel: 0808 808 3555 or 020 7608 8700

Contact: For Families With Disabled Children - Disability Living Allowance (external website)

Local services

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Contact your local CAB for support.

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice Bureau (external website)

The Cherry Tree Centre, Beverley

The Cherry Tree Centre offers free and impartial advice during your application.

Tel: (01482) 871 993

Visit us: 

117 Cherry Tree Lane
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 0AY.