If your child is in post-16 education, then yes, you are required to pay the £540 contribution as per the Home to School Transport Policy. This contribution will be deducted from your Personal Travel Budget payment over the academic year.
However, for students who are members of a low income family or who are living independently and who meet relevant income criteria, the contribution payment for the academic year is reduced by 50% to £270. A low income family or a student on a low income is in receipt of any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided the person is not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and has an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Universal Credit.
The student or the student’s parents and other members of the household may be asked to provide evidence of their entitlement to or receipt of the above support.
If you believe you qualify for the low income family 50% reduction, please contact Transportation Services:
Telephone: (01482) 395444 (option 1)