Coronavirus updates

This page has been created to support families during the ongoing pandemic. The information presented on the page has been collectively gathered from Central Government and Health, Education and Social Care organisations. We also have worked closely with the Parent Carer Forum and other support groups to ensure that the information is up to date and responsive to families current needs. 

We will continue to update this page with information throughout the coronavirus pandemic.

Parent and Carer Update from Ronnie Hartley (3 March 2021)

You can download the update as a PDF via the link below:

Parent and Carer Update from Ronnie Hartley, Head of Specialist Services - 3 March 2021 (pdf 1.1mb)

Ronnie Hartley, Head of Specialist Services - Letter to parents (11 Feb 2021)

You can download the letter as a PDF via the link below:

Ronnie Hartley, Head of Specialist Services - Letter to parents (pdf 554kb)

Ronnie Hartley, Head of Specialist Services - Letter to parents (28 Jan 2021)

You can download the letter as a PDF via the link below:

Ronnie Hartley, Head of Specialist Services - Letter to parents (pdf 545kb)

ERVAS Survey - Youth Provision

ERVAS is currently looking to gather as much information as possible about how the pandemic has affected Youth Provision, the survey is designed for both young people and professionals so please could you offer 5 minutes of your time to complete it?

Please follow the survey link below regarding the Covid-19 impact on East Riding Youth Provision and Young People and please share far and wide with young people and colleagues via your networks.

We have also added a new shorter survey aimed at young people who might prefer to use pictures in their answers.

ERVAS - East Riding Youth Provision Survey

If anyone would like to discuss this in more detail, they are more than welcome to contact detty@ervas.org.ukor darron.lawer@eastriding.gov.ukand we can arrange a zoom, Microsoft Teams or phone call.

Information to Parents and Carers - National Lockdown Announcement on 4 January 2021

Dear Parents and Carers

Following the announcement last night from Central Government of a further national lockdown of England, we recognise the impact this will have on many of the families of children with Special Educational Needs (SEND) in the East Riding. The current restrictions surrounding schools will be of particular importance to many families.

This is the first regular update that will be made via the Local Offer and in partnership with the Parent Carer Forum (PCF) with more following as further guidance is made available.

Colleges, primary (reception onwards) and secondary schools will remain open for vulnerable children and children of critical key workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half-term.

Guidance recommends that those families that contain members who are clinically extremely vulnerable should begin shielding again. Advising that children of those households should not attend their education placements instead accessing home learning. (Families should already have received letters from the NHS identifying if they are clinically extremely vulnerable and advising if they should be shielding.)

Vulnerable children, those who have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or have parents who are categorised as a critical keyworker, can still attend school provision or Early Years settings.

Schools will be contacting all parents and carers to discuss this further.

A list of keyworkers can be found on the Government Keyworker List.

Any household that does not have a vulnerable child or young person with an EHCP or a keyworker is being asked to access remote learning until February half-term, and this will be supported by the child or young person's education provider.

Further guidance to families on childcare support (up to 14 years) can be found on the Current Government Guidance (Childcare Section)along with all updated information from the Government regarding all the current restrictions.

Ronnie Hartley
Head of Children and Young People, Specialist Services

Local Authority Teams and Resources

East Riding Local Offer has a dedicated Covid pagewith information to support wellbeing and resources.

Whilst your child or young person's SENCO remains the point of contact for school if you feel you need support please contact Specialist Services (01482) 394000.

Option 1 Special Educational Needs Annual Review Team (SENDART)

Option 2 Education Welfare Service (EWS Team)

Option 4 Educational Psychology Service and the Inclusion Practitioners

Option 5 Sensory and Physical Teaching Service (SaPTS) or SEND 0-25 Team

Option 6 The Virtual School.

Sensory and Physical Teaching Service letter/home resources

The Sensory and Physical Teaching Service have recently sent letters to the students they support with a hearing impairment, this is for reference purposes only. They have also produced guidance to support children and young people at home if they are remote learning throughout the national lockdown announced on Monday, 4 January 2021.

Remote learning letter to parents (pdf 305kb)

Remote learning guidance (pdf 213kb)

Educational Psychology Service Update

The Educational Psychology Service has produced a number of advice and guidance documents to help education settings and parents/carers support the emotional wellbeing of children and young people during this Covid pandemic. Copies are available on the East Riding Local Offer and also on the Educational Psychology Service webpage on the Local Offer:


The service also produced a written guide (disseminated via the East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum) which explains how psychological services were being delivered and also what parents and carers should do should they have any concerns about their child's wellbeing or learning.

The service will be reviewing and updating these documents in light of the new Government restrictions.

Emergency Assistance Scheme

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's emergency assistance scheme aims to help residents of the East Riding who are in need at a time of crisis.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the government have made available a limited amount of funds for residents of the East Riding who are in need at a time of emergency or crisis. This money is to help support residents where they have had a reduction in their income as a result of coronavirus and urgently require assistance with food and essentials.

Awards will be made where there is no alternative means of meeting the need, this includes help from Universal Credit and other benefits payable.

To apply or check your eligibility please visit Emergency assistance .

Covid Winter Grant Scheme

On 10 November 2020, the Government announced funding to East Riding of Yorkshire Council to support those most in need with the cost of food, energy (Heating, cooking, lighting), water bills (including sewerage) and other essentials, such as sanitary products, warm clothing, soap, blankets, boiler service/repair, purchase of equipment including fridges, freezers and ovens. The aim is to give vulnerable households peace of mind in the run-up to Christmas and over the winter months during the pandemic, so children will be warm and well-fed this winter.

Due to the limited nature of the funding available, East Riding of Yorkshire Council will implement the Winter Grant Scheme as a discretionary scheme in a phased approach, until the one-off funding has been fully utilised.

Phase One of the application process was open from 7 December 2020 and closed on  20 December 2020.

Phase Two of the application process opened on 4 January 2021, and will close on 31 January 2021.

Please note: Phase Two is for new applications only. If you were awarded a grant under phase one, you are not eligible to apply for another grant in phase two. If your application in Phase One was refused, you are not eligible to reapply under phase two unless your circumstances have changed.

The council cannot guarantee payment of this award before this date.

Covid Winter Grant Scheme (pdf 742kb)

To apply for the scheme please visit the East Riding's Coronavirus benefits and financial support page .

FORM 8 Reasonable Adjustments

Reasonable adjustments and measures can be requested by families for children who are on a school's SEN Register. This will support staff to look at issues such as the need for laptops or scribes for some children, and the impact Covid may be having on their grades if children are having to self-isolate and cannot access this support from school.

This is only available for SEN students and not those with an EHCP.

The documents are for guidance purposes for families and the FORM 8 must be completed by the school SENCO, and we would encourage families to discuss any worries they have with their SENCOs first.

What are access arrangements? (pdf 67kb)

What is special consideration? (pdf 53kb)

FORM 8 2020 (pdf 436kb)

East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum (EYPCF)

Read more about the East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum here

Following national guidance around the COVID-19 outbreak, EYPCF Steering Group will be limiting their work and attendance at meetings in County Hall. We will continue to monitor the news and follow national guidance, to ensure that we act to inform the families we represent. Regular updates will be provided on EYPCF website, social media and via email.

We will handle email and telephone enquiries and offer signposting and general support by telephone, email or message via Facebook and if you leave your name and number we will call you back.

Thank you for your understanding and stay safe everyone.

Contact: EYPCF tel: 07813 676941
Email: admin@eypcf.co.uk


Ministerial Letters

Ministerial Letters  to all children and young people with SEND, their parent carers and families and other who support them.

Vicky Ford: Ministerial Letter - March 2021 (pdf 199kb)

Vicky Ford: Ministerial Letter - January 2021 (pdf 133kb) 

Vicky Ford: Ministerial Letter - November 2020 (pdf 158kb) 

Vicky Ford: Ministerial Letter September 2020 (pdf 187kb)

Vicky Ford: Ministerial letter May 2020 (pdf 150kb)

Helen Whatley and Vicky Ford: Ministerial letter April 2020 (pdf 150kb) 

This section aims to keep you all notified of the current guidance and information from Central Government.

COVID-19 Guidance from GOV.UK

Omicron variant - 30 November 2021

Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi has said today:

The news of a new variant – the so-called Omicron variant – will have understandably caused concern for people across our country, including our teachers, wider education and childcare staff, parents, pupils and students.

We are already taking targeted and proportionate action as a precaution while we find out more information about the new variant. As we do so, we will continue to prioritise children’s and young people’s education and wellbeing, making sure education and childcare settings are as safe as possible and children continue to benefit from classroom teaching.

We are working with education and childcare settings to enhance safety measures where needed, including introducing isolation for 10 days for close contacts of suspected Omicron cases.

Face coverings

From Monday 29 November, we are strongly advising that face coverings should be worn in communal areas in all settings by staff, visitors and pupils or students in year 7 and above, unless they are exempt.

Pupils or students (in year 7 or above) should continue to wear face coverings on public and dedicated school transport, unless they are exempt. 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) asymptomatic testing in schools and colleges

GOV.UK - Coronavirus asymptomatic testing in schools and colleges

Published 15 Dec 2020

Further education guidance for restricting attendance during the national lockdown

January 2021 FE operational guidance (pdf)

Published Jan 2021


Guidance for contacts of people with confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection who do not live with the person

GOV.UK - Guidance for contacts of people with possible or confirmed coronavirus who do not live with the person

Published 18 Dec 2020


Children of critical workers and vulnerable children who can access schools or educational settings

GOV.UK - Guidance for schools colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision

Updated 8 Jan 2021


Making a childcare bubble with another household

GOV.UK - Making a childcare bubble with another household

Updated Jan 2021


Education, universities and childcare; Guidance for teachers, school leaders, carers, parents and students

GOV.UK - Education and childcare

What parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges

GOV.UK - What parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges during the coronavirus outbreak

Updated March 2021.

National Lockdown 4 January 2021 

National lockdown: Stay at Home 

GOV.UK - National lockdown stay at home 

Published 4 Jan 2021 updated 14 Jan 2021

General Government COVID-19 Guidance

COVID-19: Online science, PE, wellbeing and SEND resources for home education (external website)

COVID-19: Education, health and care needs assessments and plans: guidance on temporary legislative changes relating to coronavirus (external website)

COVID-19: List of guidance (external website)

COVID-19: What you need to do (external website) 

COVID-19: Supporting children and young people with SEND as schools and colleges prepare for wider opening - Risk Assessment Guidance (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance for the Public on Mental Health and Wellbeing (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance on supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection (Multiple Languages) (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance for educational settings (external website)  

COVID-19: Guidance for schools and other educational settings (external website)

COVID-19: Infection prevention and control (IPC) (external website) 

COVID-19: Government guidance for direct payments (external website) 

COVID-19: Help children with SEND continue their education during coronavirus (external website)

COVID-19: Supporting your children's education during coronavirus (external website) 

COVID-19: Guidance for employees, employers and businesses (external website)  

COVID-19: Guidance for mass gatherings (external website)

COVID-19: Action plan (external website)

COVID-19: Guidance for local government (external website)

Coronavirus Bill: Summary of impacts (external website)

This section is to ensure parents and carers are aware of how to contact services. Any disruption or changes to can be found here.


Email:  sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk  

Tel:(01482) 396469

Text only number: 07507310273

East Riding Children and Young People SENDIASS  

Email:  enquiries.yorkshire@kids.org.uk 

East Riding Council Services

Early Help and Prevention Service 

East Riding Council - Early Help and Prevention Service (external council website)

Families Information Service Hub (FISH) 

Email:  fish@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396469

SEND 0-25 Team

Tel: (01482) 394000 (option 5, option 2)

If the call is in reference to Direct Payments please contact the Family Coordinator or Social Worker directly in the first instance.


Tel: (01482) 394000 (option 1, option 2 for an existing EHCP) or (option 1, option 1 for a new request)

Email:  send.enquiries@eastriding.gov.uk

Education Psychology and Inclusion Practitioners

Tel: (01482) 394000 (option 4, then option 2)

The Educational Psychology Service has produced a range of resources to support families, young people and schools during the Covid pandemic:

Education Psychology Service

Children Centre Support 

Anlaby Children’s Centre   
Tel: (01482) 565560    
Email: AnlabyCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

Beverley Children’s Centre       
Tel: (01482) 880066    
Email: BeverleyCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

Bridlington Children’s Centre     
Tel: (01262) 395470    
Email: BridlingtonCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

Driffield Children’s Centre     
Tel: (01377) 240782    
Email: DriffieldCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

Marshlands Children’s Centre      
Tel: (01405) 762614    
Email: MarshlandsCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

Withernsea Children’s Centre     
Tel: (01964) 612618    
Email: WithernseaCCHub@eastriding.gov.uk

School Transport 

Tel: (01482) 395444
Email:  school.transport@eastriding.gov.uk

Futures +

Tel: (01482) 393939 for people looking for support - new involvements

Tel: (01482) 391510 for people with existing involvement with Futures +

Carers Support

Tel:(01482) 396500

Direct Payments (Adults)

Tel:(01482) 396940 

East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership (ERSCP) (external council website)

Additional information on services from ERYC can be found on:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council (external council website)

Community Response Hubs

If you or someone you know needs help:

Not everyone has a network of family, friends, neighbours or carers to call upon. The Community Response Hub is here to help tackle a range of issues you or somebody you know might be experiencing due to the Covid-19 social isolation measures.

You can request help and support for yourself or on behalf of somebody else.

The Community Hubs could help with Food, Medication or a befriending service if you are isolating or feeling alone..


Tel: (01482) 393919operational between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday and lines are closed on weekends and bank holidays.

You can also apply online by following the link to the Community Hub page were you will also find information on how to become a volunteer.

East Riding Community Response Hub (external council website)

Additional SEND Support Services

East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum

Tel: 07813 676941

Email:  admin@eypcf.co.uk

Council for Disabled Children

Email: CDC@nbc.org.uk

Contact - For families with disabled children

Tel: 0808 808 3555

Contact - for families with disabled children (external website)


Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) (external website)

IPSEA Advice Line (external website)

Health Services

Speech and Language Therapy Services 

Tel: (01482) 692929 

Children’s Physiotherapy

Tel: (01482) 336774  

Children’s OT services 

East Riding Community Hospital - Tel: (01482) 478898

Walker Street (Hull) - Tel: (01482) 692929 option 4

Goole - Tel: (01405) 608233 or 608225

Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Service 

  • SLT service can be contacted during normal office hours on telephone number (01482) 692929 with an answer machine in place if no-one is available to take the call.
  • SLT service is providing a ‘digital first’ approach – all initial appointments with parents/schools/nursery will be via telephone or video consultations in the first instance.
  • SLT service is required to wear full PPE, including use of masks, visors, aprons and gloves, for any face to face contacts.  The use of PPE may compromise the effectiveness of face-to-face appointments hence the use of telehealth in the first instance.
  • Clinical decision will be made in conjunction with parents/schools/nurseries as to whether child’s needs (assessment or intervention) can be met via telehealth.  If not, face-to-face appointments can be arranged.
  • SLT service will continue to deliver the statutory requirements to support the provision of an Education, Health Care plans and to contribute to Education, Health Care plans – this will be via telehealth or face to face as clinically appropriate.
  •  All staff have access to IT equipment to work effectively from home and are therefore available via email, telephone, MS teams etc.  

Children’s Physiotherapy

  • The physiotherapy service can be contacted Monday-Friday during normal office hours on (01482) 336774/(01482) 458809, with an answer machine in place in the event no-one is available to take the call. 
  • The physiotherapy service is providing a ‘digital first’ approach –initial appointments will be considered for telephone or video consultations where appropriate. 
  • Face-to-face appointments will be arranged where there is an urgent clinical need and cannot be undertaken via the phone/video call.  
  • The physiotherapy service is required to wear full PPE, including use of masks, visors, aprons and gloves, for any face to face contacts.   
  • A number of orthotic clinics are being undertaken across the region. All queries regarding orthotics should be made to the team on the main numbers, where an appropriate appointment can be offered. (Please note: this does not cover those children who live in the Goole area who have accessed the orthotic service through NLAG as it is a separate provider).
  • The physiotherapy service will continue to deliver the statutory requirements to support the provision of an Education, Health Care plans and to contribute to Education, Health Care plans – this will be via telehealth or face to face as clinically appropriate. 

Children’s Occupational Therapy Service 

  • The OT service can be contacted Monday-Friday during normal office hours on (01482) 692929 (Hull team) , (01482) 478898 (ERCH) or (01405) 608233 (Goole)  with an answer machine in place in the event that no one is available to take the call. 
  • The OT service is providing a ‘digital first’ approach. Initial appointments and reviews with be offered via telephone or video consultation where appropriate. 
  • Face-to-face appointments will be arranged where there is a clinical need and they cannot be undertaken via telephone or video consultation. Visits to homes and educations settings will be completed as required. 
  • The OT service is required to wear full PPE, including use of masks, visors, aprons and gloves, for any face-to-face contacts.   
  • The OT service will continue to deliver the statutory requirements to support the provision of an Education, Health Care plans and provide relevant reports.

School Nurses

The duty phone line operating 9am -5pm on week days. 

Bridlington - Tel: (01262) 400565

Goole - Tel: (01405) 752931

Haltemprice - Tel: (01482) 355010

North Holderness - Tel: (01482) 677618

South Holderness - Tel: (01482) 344455

West Holderness - Tel: (01759) 448366

NHS - East Riding Health Visitors and School Nurses (external website)

CAMHS service 

Due to the temporary closure of the Beverley Children’s Centre at Coltman Avenue, the East Riding CAMHS Contact point will be based with Hull CAMHS, bringing them together into one team to work across the whole geographical footprint. The Team will be based at Walker Street, Hull, HU3 2HE. 

East Riding parents can still make self-referrals through the usual routes:

  • Primary and Junior school children via EHaSH tel: (01482) 395500 
  • Secondary school young people through the Contact point tel: (01482) 303810 

Professionals, the preferred referral route is online via:

CAMHS.hmber.nhs.uk or 


Non-SEND-specific Support Services

Citizens Advice Hull and East Riding

Tel: 03444 111 444 (local rate)

Accessing Citizens Advice (pdf 57kb)

The team continues to pick up referrals but are only able to assist by phone and email during the current restrictions.

Help through crisis referral form (word 70kb)

Please email the above form to:

Email:  HTC@hull-eastridingcab.org.uk

Universal Credit – Help To Claim (external Citizens Advice website)

Citizen's Advice team are accessible via phone and webchat

Tel: 0800 1448 444

Domestic Violence Support for women




As well as staying physically healthy during this period, we recognise the additional stress and anxiety some children, young people and parent/carers may feel. Below are some contacts for families to access professional support and strategies.

East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership (ERSCP): Mental Health Awareness

Domestic abuse support (pdf 466kb)

The British Psychological Society

Supporting yourself and others (pdf 1mb)

The Educational Psychology Service

The Educational Psychology Service have produced a set of guidance and support documents for settings, parents and young people to support emotional wellbeing during COVID-19. Please visit:

Educational psychology 

to access these.

East Riding Parent and carer guide to supporting emotional wellbeing (pdf 1.7mb)

Preparing to go back to school

SchudioTV on-line ‘course' (external website) – some useful resources for parents to help children and young people with autism prepare to go back to school.

Information for children and young people

Mental Health Apps available for Parents and Children and Young People

Web:  https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/category/mental-health/

Young Minds (external website) general information for young people about managing their mental health

CAMHS resources for families, children and Young People (external CAMHS website)

Supporting Your Mental Health Workbook for Young People (word 1.2mb) 

KOOTH is mental health support endorsed by the NHS. We know our young residents might feel anxious, stressed or worried during this time.

Kooth is a FREE, safe and anonymous online tool for young people where they can find advice and support.  



Information for parents on how to support children though COVID-19

Supporting children and families through unexpected times of rapid and unpredictable change in the light of coronavirus (pdf 506kb)

World Health Organisation (external website)

British Psychological Society (external website)

Child Mind (external website)

Incredible Years (external website)

Place2Be (external website) 

ACAMH (external website)- Podcast by Dr Jon Goldin on the coronavirus and children's mental health.

Young Minds (external website) - Talking to your child about Coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing.

Five top tips for Adoptive Parents and Foster carers (pdf 692kb)

Information to support parent/carer's mental health and wellbeing

Hull and East Riding Mind are offering phone support for anyone struggling with mental health. 

Tel: (01482) 240133

Every Mind Matters (external NHS website)has been updated with information on Covid-19 and staying mentally well.  

Carers UK (external website) - Coronavirus guidance for Carers

Information for Education Settings

The East Riding local guide to assist education settings to support the emotional wellbeing needs of children/young people during COVID-19 - revised Feb 2021 (002) (pdf 904kb)

Public Health England - Easy read advice on the coronavirus for places of education:  Advice on the coronavirus v1.pdf 

PACEY (Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years) - pacey.org.uk


Managing Stress and Anxiety

Youth and Family Support Service (Y&FSS) resources to support young people with anxiety:

COVID Support Package (word 24kb)

Anxiety Workbook (pdf 523kb)

Support through this season mental health strategies (pdf 14mb) 

Mindfulness and relaxation exercises that parents can do with younger children:

Managing anxiety about the virus as adults 


Information for those with sensory difficulties who struggle with hand washing. 

Web: sensoryintegration.org.uk/News/8821506 

Advice for Parents and Carers of children and Young People struggling with OCD. 

Web: ocduk.org/ocd-and-coronavirus-survival-tips/


National Autistic Society – guidance and helpline for parents’, young people and staff:

Web:  autism.org.uk/coronavirus-(covid-19)-advice

Coronavirus: Top tips for autistic people (pdf 540kb) 

Coronavirus: Top tips for families (pdf 540 kb) 


Please feed back to the Local Offer regarding which services and links you found particularly useful so we can filter information based on its resourcefulness. 

Talking to children and young people about the coronavirus is important for them to understand why they cannot do all the things they could usually do.

Please use the below resources and social stories from various organisations which have been catered for children with different disabilities, these may help you sit down and explain the impact it is having on their lives and why things are different at the moment.  

Information on coronavirus for children

Children's Commissioner

Children's Guide to coronavirus (pdf 1.1mb)

Carol Gray has produced a social story about coronavirus and pandemics. 

The social story uses large print pictures and provides contextual information for those with Autistic Spectrum Condition or Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

Coronavirus and Pandemics (pdf 25mb)

The Autism Education (external website)A social story about coronavirus that has a good level of specificity about the effects of social distancing e.g. not being able to go to favourite place.

BBC Newsround (external website)offers an explanation for children with a really useful video answering lots of questions about the virus and is really good for reassuring children.

Story books for children about the virus

Covibook – an interactive resource designed to support and reassure children (aged 7 and under), to help them explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing. – Available in 18 different languages


Elsa Support



Coronavirus A book for Children (pdf 7.9mb)

Dave the dog Coronavirus (pdf 7.9mb) 

Hello I’m a virus (external website)from MindHeart

Please feed back to the Local Offer regarding which services and links you found particularly useful so we can filter information based on its resourcefulness.

Please browse and use the resources available online to support you whilst you are educating children and young people at home.

Think U Know - online Safety information (external website)

Inclusive resources

Riverside home school resources (external school website)

Inclusive Teach activities (external website) 

Early Years Resources

Small Talk (external website) - Chat Play Read  

BBC (external website) - Tiny Happy People 

Cbeebies Radio (external BBC website) – Listening activities

Early Movers (external website) 

Hungry Little Minds (external website)  

Kids Out (external website) - World stories

The Imagination Tree (external website)Creative art and craft activities for the very youngest 

Learning at home

BBC Bitesize (external BBC website) - videos, quizzes and games covering the entire curriculum for primary, secondary and post-16 students

Kids Out (external website) World stories 

Twinkl (external website) - School closure free home learning booklets from Early Years Foundation Stage through to GCSE

Ted Ed (external website) 

Discovery Education (external website) - English, Maths & Science activities for KS1 & KS2 and also a section on coding

Oxford Owl (external website) - free e-books for ages 3-11, and range of how-to videos for maths. A parents’ page which explains how spelling and grammar is taught in schools. If you ever wondered what a 'fronted adverbial' was, here's your chance to find out!  

Teachit Sign up for an account is required to download the free resources.

Primary resources and games to print for English, Maths, Science and Foundation subjects.

Secondary School resources website address = teachit + topic name e.g. Languages

British Council (external website)Resources for English language learning  


Teach your monster to read (external website)

Phonics Play (external website) - phonics games that follow the Letters and Sounds phonics programme. Pick the phase the child is currently on using the menu at the side.

Phonics Play is currently free for all users during the school closure period.

Username: march20

Password: home


Storyline Online - a catalogue of videos featuring celebrities reading children's stories https://www.storylineonline.net/

Unite for literacy - a US online library which provides free access to over 400 original picture books  https://www.uniteforliteracy.com/ 

Clicker - accessible word processing  https://www.cricksoft.com/uk/clicker/clicker-at-home 


Snappy Maths - maths worksheets for quick mental arithmetic sessions. http://snappymaths.com/

CoolMath4Kids - interactive games covering the four operations (+ - x ÷) and fractions  https://www.coolmath4kids.com/

Pet Bingo - an app for practicing the four operations, children get to earn pets and care for them

Apple: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/pet-bingo-by-duck-duck-moose/id726307725

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duckduckmoosedesign.pb&hl=en_GB



Science Museum Group - Videos, activities and facts on lots of different science topics for all key stages https://learning-resources.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

Mystery Science https://mysteryscience.com/ 

Science for Kids - A New Zealand based site with lots of science experiments and games for kids http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/ 

Switch Zoo - the idea started from creating new animals by switching parts, includes lots of information about habitats, biomes, feeding animals and animal sounds


Crest Awards – Science awards that can be completed at home https://www.crestawards.org/


Topics (Geography, History)

The MET Office https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/met-office-for-schools  

 National Geographic Kids - covering animals, science, history and geography. https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/

3D Geography - free paper templates for making models, plus lots of geography information. https://www.3dgeography.co.uk/ 

Geography Games https://world-geography-games.com/world.html 

Big History Project - Secondary https://www.bighistoryproject.com/home 

Virtual museum tours




Tynker - marketed as 'coding for kids', this website is currently offering free access to its premium content https://www.tynker.com/

Code.org - founders of the 'Hour of code' tutorials, this website offers computer science courses for students from reception through to A-level


iDEA Awards - Digital award scheme that can be completed online https://idea.org.uk/


Computer programming

Blockly https://blockly.games/ 

Scratch https://scratch.mit.edu/explore/projects/games/



Duolingo - a free platform for learning languages. You can learn from a computer, or download the app.



Soundabout - online inclusive music sessions 


Music apps and interactive resources (even some online lessons)



Access Art resources


Art for Kids Hub - this Youtube channel shows you how to draw a variety of things from animals to cartoon characters and even cars 


More Online Teaching Resources

Online learning information for parents and carers (pdf 148kb)  

Topmarks - collection of educational games covering all topics  https://www.topmarks.co.uk/

Toy Theater - Educational online games https://toytheater.com/

Chatterpack -  https://chatterpack.net/blogs/blog/resources-list-for-home-learning 

Smart videos for curious minds of all ages:  

The Kids Should See This -  https://thekidshouldseethis.com/

The Crash Course – YouTube videos on many different topics  https://thecrashcourse.com/ 


Please feedback to the Local Offer regarding which services and links you found particularly useful so we can filter information based on its resourcefulness.

Sensory Resources

The Sensory Projects  

Project packs - http://www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk/free-educational-resources

Sensory games - http://www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk/guides 

The Sensory Dispensary have activities available to download from TES SEN website


Pete Wells has some raucous free sensory stories available on his website - and the podcast is well worth a listen too! 


Greenside School - sensory stories 5


Sensory and messy play activities for children with additional needs


50 sensory learning activities 


Activities including sensory and massage stories themed for the time of year


Story massage - a free resource booklet of 36 stories, email them to be sent a copy: mary@storymassage.co.uk 

Activities and Family Fun

Time capsule sheets (pdf 700kb)

Time Capsule (easy read) (word 1mb)

Battle Ships Board (pdf 80kb)

Chess Board (pdf 320kb) prints on 2 pages

Dominoes (pdf 115kb)

Snakes and ladders (pdf 110kb) 

Family Fun Exercises (pdf 81kb)

National Geographic Kids – Activities and quizzes: https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/  

RSPB - activities https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/games-and-activities/activities/  

Paw Print Badges – Free challenge packs and other downloads. Indoor and outdoor. https://www.pawprintbadges.co.uk/

Thinking games - designed to improve logical thinking skills: https://allinonehomeschool.com/thinking/ 

Positive Eye Ideas Machine


Seussville - lot of activities, crafts and games based on the world of Dr Seuss

Children: https://www.seussville.com/

Parents: https://www.seussville.com/parents/ 

Ways to learn through play


GoNoodle - videos designed to get kids moving. https://www.gonoodle.com/ 

Highlights Kids - a popular US magazine for children, this site has lots of ideas for craft activities, recipes and an 'explore' section covering science questions and experiments


Website and activity ideas - https://twitter.com/teachPMLD/status/1240369135885975554/photo/1

Please feed back to the Local Offer regarding which services and links you found particularly useful so we can filter information based on its resourcefulness.

Guidance and advice from various health charities and organisations.

NHS General Coronavirus Guidance (external NHS website) 

NHS 111 service online (external NHS website)

NHS Self-Isolation Guidance (external NHS website)

Guidance for pregnant women (external website)from Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 

East Riding Health Visitors and School Nurses (external NHS website) 

Support from Asthma UK (external website)


Support from Diabetes UK (external website)


NHS support Diabetes (external website)


Support from Mencap Learning Disabilities (external website)


CAMHS service

East Riding CAMHS and Hull CAMHS, have been brought together into one team to work across the whole geographical footprint. The Team is based at Walker Street, Hull, HU3 2HE. 

East Riding parents can still make self-referrals through the usual routes:

  • Primary and Junior school children via EHaSH tel: (01482) 395500 
  • Secondary school young people through the Contact point tel: (01482) 303810 

Professionals, the preferred referral route is on line via:

 www.CAMHS.hmber.nhs.uk or 


Please feed back to the Local Offer regarding which services and links you found particularly useful so we can filter information based on its resourcefulness.

The questions below have been collected by the Parent Carer Forum who have consulted with families and support groups in the East Riding of Yorkshire area and presented to the Local Authority with the aim to address many of the common questions families and young people have within these uncertain times.

FAQs – Children and young people with an EHC plan in East Riding of Yorkshire

Council for Disabled Children - Frequently Asked Questions (pdf 606kb)

Is my Education, Health and Care Officer (EHCCO) or 0-25 team worker currently at work?

East Riding council staff are working from home in line with government guidelines. The majority of staff are working from home although there are some staff who are self-isolating or included in the at risk group due to Covid- 19. Please contact (01482) 394000.

Can I request an EHC assessment for my child at the moment? 

Requests for EHC assessments can continue to be sent to the SEN team via send.enquiries@eastriding.gov.uk or by post to County Hall, Beverley. The SEN team continue to work on these requests, however it is likely that the assessment and co-producing of EHC plans may take longer than the statutory assessment process of 20 weeks. The Department for Education (DfE) is working on some guidance for local authorities about the statutory timescales during this challenging time.

Are all panels still running?  

All panels are still running as part of the continuation of support for families, the outcome of this should be shared with families if relevant (Example; new request for an EHCP, SEN team to share the outcome to those families and professionals involved).

My child has an EHC plan and I am keeping him/her at home (as the government has said), can I claim part of my child’s EHC plan funding?

Unfortunately, this is not possible. The EHC plan funding is committed to schools when children take up a place. It isn't issued on a daily rate depending upon attendance, as schools' outgoings are largely fixed.

Are the Annual Reviews going to be taking place throughout the coronavirus lockdown?

There is an expectation that annual reviews will continue throughout this period, with schools acting as coordinators and facilitating this using various methods including virtually. In the first instance please speak to the SENCO at your child’s school or setting. 

I have heard that the 0-25 team are ringing parents who have a child/young person with an EHC plan, but this is only those who the 0-25 team are currently working with, is this the case?  

The 0-25 team are ringing those parent carers who they are currently working with to offer support, resources and advice during this difficult time. Those parent carers who are not currently working with a 0-25 staff member can contact the team on tel: (01482) 394000 if they feel they need support regarding their child/young person. The team are working hard to remain in contact with our most vulnerable families and ensure that they are supported.

Parents are struggling to use the secure messaging system? 

The Local Authority data protection team has provided clear guidance to the SEN team about emailing documents to parent carers using a password protected system. This is only to be used in exceptional circumstances when parent carers can not access the secure messaging system. Please speak to the SEN team should you have any questions.  

FAQs - School  

How will coronavirus affect my child's home-to-school transport?

Transport guidance for parents and carers (pdf 159kb)

Any further information regarding your child's home-to-school transport should be directed to transport services on tel: (01482) 395444.

What is the government saying about whether children should be at home or at school?

The most recent scientific advice on how to further limit the spread of COVID-19 is clear. If children can stay safely at home, they should, to limit the chance of the virus spreading. That is why the government has asked parents to keep their children at home, wherever possible, and asked schools to remain open only for those children who absolutely need to attend.

Schools are, therefore, being asked to continue to provide care for a limited number of children - children who are vulnerable and children whose parents are critical to the Covid-19 response and cannot be safely cared for at home. 

The schools are closed, but children with EHC plans should continue to go. Is that right?

As above, the government announced that schools will close from Friday 20 March, and they will remain closed until further notice except for children of key workers and vulnerable children, which includes children with EHC plans. It doesn’t include children with draft EHC plans or those who are undergoing assessment.

However, if children with EHC plans can be cared for at home during this time, they should be. The focus of schools at the moment is providing care to support key workers to work, and easing the pressure on families with vulnerable children. At this challenging time, it is not about continuing with education. 

I don’t want my child with an EHC plan to go to school. Do they have to?

No you don’t have to send your child to school, you have the right to make the decision that you do not want to send your child. Special schools, colleges and local authorities are advised to make case by case basis assessments of the health and safeguarding considerations of pupils and students with an education, health and care (EHC) plan. For some, they will be safer in an education provision. For others, they will be safer at home. 

My child is on SEN Support, do they need to go to school?

No, the government’s announcement only includes those children of keyworker staff and vulnerable children. The government’s definition of vulnerable currently only includes those who have a social worker and those with an EHC plan. 

My child has an EHC plan and attends an independent school, are they remaining open?

The government guidance details that registered childcare providers, alternative provision, independent special schools, colleges, special post 16 providers are required to offer provision for key workers and vulnerable children/young people, as detailed above.

I have more than one child with SEND and am struggling to complete school work. What should I do?

There are particular difficulties for parents where there are two or three children in the family who have SEND. Some parents are finding it very stressful trying to complete work packs provided by schools. The children in these families are usually at different schools so there needs to be some co ordination between schools as to what is expected of a family. 

Where a family is receiving work from school and they are struggling to complete this work with a child or young person the family should contact the school directly to share their worries. The expectations on families and children to complete work is a worry for many parents but guidance from the school on what is expected of them should be discussed in the first instance.

There is confusion about the accessibility of free school meals. Is it possible to have a voucher system for all families.

Some schools are choosing to provide takeaway meals for students eligible for free school meals whilst others issuing voucher schemes, this is expected to be managed by each school and in line with the below guidance.

This link will take you directly to the guidance for pupils eligible for Free School Meals: 

 GOV.UK - Government plans set out to support pupils eligible for Free School Meal (external website)

As stipulated in the guidance each school should manage how they want to manage this element of support. Those identified as suitable to receive free school meals and where the school is only supporting key worker children or closed, the expectation is that the schools should contact those parents of children eligible to notify them of how they intend to continue and support these families, this may include a voucher system emailed to parents and managed by the schools.

Parents are therefore asked to contact their schools in the first instance if they receive free school meals and not heard from their child’s school.

FAQs - Emotional and Behaviour Support

How is the Educational Psychology Service working at the moment and can parent carers contact the service if they have concerns about their child's learning and or social/emotional wellbeing?

The Educational Psychology Service has continued to provide services since the beginning of the pandemic. In most cases, Educational Psychologists (EPs) and Inclusion Practitioners (IPs) are working remotely – using video conferencing or telephone. If there are any situations where the EP or IP feels that the only way they can do their job is through direct face to face work, then they are visiting schools in line with COVID health and safety guidelines.

The service has produced a number of resource guides to help education settings and families support the emotional and psychological wellbeing of children and young people during this coronavirus pandemic. The service has also coordinated and developed an East Riding Local Guide which identifies a range of emotional wellbeing concerns experienced by children and young people, along with advice about how education settings can address these concerns. It also provides information about the range of services available in East Riding. This guide is available on the Local Offer and will be subject to 2 – 3 monthly revision. Whilst the guide is primarily aimed at education settings, it has advice, information and links that families will find helpful. A copy of this Guide can be found on the Educational Psychology Service entry here on the Local Offer:

Educational psychology

The service is currently delivering training to education settings as part of the DfE Wellbeing for Education Return (WER) project. The two-session training is focused on how to support the psychological needs of the education community and is being delivered to nominated staff from schools and FE college. After training, nominated staff from each education setting will be sharing the resources and their learning with staff and families in their community.

If a parent carer has a concern about their child’s learning and or social/emotional wellbeing, the service advises them to discuss their concerns with the school/FE college in the first instance as education staff will have a detailed understanding of the most appropriate approaches and strategies to support each individual child or young person. Schools/FE colleges have staff with the knowledge and skills to offer support to parents carers - including the SENCO, ELSA and, in some schools/FE colleges, an emotional wellbeing worker and parent/carer support worker.

Parent/carers whose child is known to the Educational Psychology Service can speak with the educational psychologist involved in supporting their child by contacting:

Tel: (01482) 394000 (option 4 then option 2). 

It is also possible for parent carers to speak with the inclusion practitioner involved with their child and this can be arranged through discussion with the appropriate educational psychologist.

FAQs – Health  

What is the direct number to ring for CAMHS. Is it operated every day?

East Riding CAMHS and Hull CAMHS have been brought together into one team to work across the whole geographical footprint. The Team is based at Walker Street, Hull, HU3 2HE. 

East Riding parents can still make self-referrals through the usual routes:

  •  Primary and Junior school children via EHaSH tel: (01482) 395500 
  • Secondary school young people through the Contact point tel: (01482) 303810 

Professionals, the preferred referral route is on line via:

 www.CAMHS.hmber.nhs.uk or 


How can parents stay in touch with their Paediatrician particularly when their child’s medical situation is not stable?

The paediatrician service have staff in place to triage and take calls and follow up correspondence will be made if necessary, therefore parents/carers are asked to contact the service using the same telephone numbers if they need paediatric support.

Paediatrics Services Update

Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (HUTH) are currently able to well maintain the standard timescale of 6 weeks for all EHC requests as we are implementing the new service protocol, have adequate staff and clinic capacity, and are up to date with follow up appointments for the entire inherited caseload.

For follow up appointments we are offering telephone consultation.  The only delay from standard protocol is for new referrals to the Neurodevelopment service (some of these children will have a SEND need but not an urgent health that warrants an immediate face to face consultation). It is only for this group we would utilise the new guidance “act as soon as reasonably practicable” and hope to start face to face consultation in the next 6-8 weeks dependent upon how the transition plan evolves and how we manage the social distancing arrangements within clinics.   Once we are in a stable position from a follow up perspective, after actively restarting face to face consultations, we would look to change the clinic structure to allow more new slots and reduce the number of follow up slots (allowing a catch up). 

How is the Therapy service (SALT, OT, and Physio) operating at the moment? How are CYP Termly plans going to be updated to inform the ongoing therapy for next term? Are resources going to be made available from the service?

Children’s Physiotherapy:

  • Children who were receiving active treatment or have recently had a referral into our service have been sent a letter regarding the changes to routine face to face appointments. This has also provided families with a landline number, which they can call for any queries/concerns that arise.
  • All routine triage (assessment) appointments are being undertaken by phone consultation with “what’s app” video being used where appropriate.
  • Face to face appointments will only be arranged where there is an urgent clinical need and cannot be undertaken via the phone/video call.
  • The physio team are undertaking phone/video calls with parents/carers to provide support and answer queries.  They have been resending physical management programmes where required and suggesting alternate activities/exercises where appropriate linked to the child’s health needs.  The frequency of calls is linked to the child’s individual health needs.  
  • Children who access the orthotic service through our team are able to contact us regarding any issue with their current prescription and we are closely liaising with the orthotist.  All queries regarding orthotics are shared with the orthotist who will determine if the child requires a phone consultation or if essential a face to face appointment.   (Please note this does not cover those children who live in the Goole area who have accessed the orthotic service through NLAG as it is a separate provider). 

Tel: (01482) 336774 

Children’s OT services 

In answer to the questions from parents/carers from an OT perspective as follows;  

• All families on the current caseload and on the waiting list have been sent  a letter advising them of changes to the service. 

• Face to face visits will be carried out based on clinical need where deemed essential.  

• All parents/carers have been advised to contact the service with any queries. 

• Video calling via WhatsApp is available as an alternative to face to face visits. This will also help inform whether a face to face visit is required or not. 

• Telephone reviews will be carried out where required, particularly for children and young people's who have an EHCP. Support and advice regarding OT outcomes will be offered to families and other professionals involved. 

OT reports for EHCPs can still be provided on request

Contact Numbers:

       East Riding Community Hospital – tel: (01482) 478898

       Walker Street – tel: (01482) 692929 option 4

       Goole – tel: (01405) 608233 or 608225

Speech and Language Therapy services

  • All staff have IT equipment required to be able to work remotely from home
  • Skeleton staff are available at Walker Street to coordinate adapted service delivery and review priority referrals
  • All families currently receiving an episode of care have been contacted – if clinically required a telephone or video consultation has been offered
  • Triage screening appointments have gone ahead via telephone consultations
  • Face to face visits will be carried out based on clinical need where deemed essential – for children with dysphagia as risk of aspiration
  • The central telephone contact number is manned each day
  • EHC reports will be completed ensuring that it is clear that the information has been obtained from review of record, information from parents and from telephone or video consultations
  • Resources/homework pack have been sent to parents as appropriate. 

Tel:  (01482) 692929 

Are school nurses available for advice. If so is there a direct contact number to ring?

If a parent or young person would like to speak to a member of the 0-19 (25) ISPHN service (including School Nurses) they can access this via:

The duty phone line to their local team 9am -5pm on week days. Contact numbers are split into locality areas :

Bridlington (01262) 400565

Goole (01405) 752931

Haltemprice (01482) 355010

North Holderness (01482) 677618

South Holderness (01482) 344455

West Holderness (01759) 448366 

Web: http://www.humberisphn.nhs.uk  

which has a language translation facility and has contact details and relevant information on plus an up-to-date Covid-19 page.

  • Through our Chathealth- text messaging service for young people aged 11-19 or 25 with SEND
  • We have a Face book page, Twitter and Instagram site which are updated daily so how ever families want to access the service it should be easy.  

We have nursery nurses who are on call to support with behaviour issues and are offering support to foster carers via identified need from the LAC nurses.

FAQs - Social Care

Will the 0-25 team be able to carry out ‘well-being” checks on families during the coming weeks?

The 0-25 team have made contact with those families they are currently working with following the government's message to stay at home to make contact and provide support to families. The local authority, including all specialist services is working hard to support our most vulnerable families during this challenging and difficult time. To provide some continuity for families all contact details for the SEN team, 0-25 team and other teams in specialist services remain the same and are staffed during office hours.

Could the LA organise a ‘bank’ of support workers eg PAs or TAs ( DBS checked) to support families of their worker is not available?

Those families who have a worker who is not available to support them due to the worker having to self-isolate, should contact the agency direct (if the worker is an agency staff member) to discuss alternative arrangements, or the 0-25 team if the worker is employer directly by the family.

What support is available for families with a child at SEN support. Also for all families what emotional and sociable support is available?         

We acknowledge that this is a difficult time for all families particularly those who have a child/young with SEND. We would encourage families who have a child/young person at SEN support level to contact their school or setting for resources/support etc. The Local Offer "Corona Virus" page includes lots of resource documents, website links and useful information. The KOOTH website has recently launched in the East Riding. This is a free online mental health and well-being support service for children and young people please visit www.kooth.com

Will there be a respite system introduced for families to enable them to have some time off to go shopping etc?

Where a family has a child with a package of support from children's social care, the family can request those workers to provide the short break they may need to access shops etc. Those without this support should in the first instance request further help from the Community Hub to support them. Example; to attend the shops on the families' behalf.


Do people working with children need to wear PPE and how can they obtain PPE?

If the child has symptoms of COVID-19, then the risk of transmission should be minimised through safe working procedures. As with staff in home care services, personal assistants and other care staff should use PPE when caring for someone with symptoms for activities that bring them into close personal contact, such as washing and bathing, personal hygiene and contact with bodily fluids. Plastic aprons, fluid resistant surgical masks, eye protection and gloves are recommended. New PPE must be used for each episode of care.

PPE Guidance (pdf 1.1mb)

COVID-19: Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) (external Government website)

People receiving direct payments that normally purchase their own PPE from their preferred supplier, should continue to do so. 

If families are having difficulty in obtaining the required PPE, they should approach their key worker responsible for their Direct Payment/Personal Budget and ask for assistance.

What is the situation for carers entering a family home regarding PPE? Equally what protection is there for parents if they allow a Carer to enter their home? 

The request for PPE equipment from families for those carers entering a family home to deliver short break or direct payment services should contact their 0-25 Team worker or Social Worker in the first instance.

FAQs – Short Breaks

Will Endorphins activity programmes start as planned on 4 April 2020 (Endorphins are the new activity provider in the East Riding of Yorkshire) this was previously delivered by Barnardo’s all stars groups?

Endorphins and the local authority has decided to postpone the start date of these activities in order to comply with government directives regarding social distancing and staying at home wherever possible.  Further information will follow. 

Endorphins will be posting activities on their facebook page:

facebook.com/EndorphinsGroup (external website)

What will happen to Freedom Activity Support Payment (FASP) applications?

Please continue to send your applications for the freedom activity support payment to:

Email: fasp@eastriding.gov.uk or 

Tel: (01482) 394000 options 5 then 2.

For further information please visit the local offer website at: 


All applications will be processed as usual. Due to the current lockdown, we are considering extending the deadline for applications to ensure all eligible families have the opportunity to apply.

Could the FASP system be accelerated to enable families to use some of the money now?

The Local Authority is following the government guidelines which is that people should stay at home, as families in the East Riding area are doing. Therefore, the FASP system, which is to support families to access social and leisure activities, will not be accelerated any sooner as most activity providers are closed and families should stay at home. If families require additional support during the current situation, they should contact the 0-25 SEND Team to discuss their concerns.

FAQs - Direct Payments

What will happen with my direct payments (personal budget) payments? 

The local authority will not be making any changes to the current direct payments (personal budget) currently made to families. We are awaiting further guidance from the Department for Education (DfE) about how we continue to support families who receive these payments. If you have any questions, please speak to your social worker or 0-25 family co-ordinator in the first instance.

There is some conflicting information being given to parents and carers regarding direct payments. Is it still the case that parents should contact their 0-25 keyworker for advice? 

Parents should contact their DP key worker - this could be the 0-25 team, social worker, or futures+ social worker.

FAQs - Contacting Services

How can I contact the SEN team, 0-25 team and other teams within children and young people’s specialist services?

Telephone numbers and team email addresses remain the same, and are staffed during office hours. 

The telephone number to access all teams in Specialist Services is (01482) 394000.

How can I contact home to school transport? 

The contact details for Passenger Services remain the same: 

Tel: (01482) 395588/395501 or 

Email: transport.requests@eastriding.gov.uk

If you are contacting Passenger Services out-of-office hours please use the email address.  

Where can I find information about other East Riding council services?

 East Riding of Yorkshire Council (external council website)