In the first instance it would be good to speak to your Special Educational Needs Coordinator at the early years setting, school or education provider to discuss the decision further.
You can also contact an Education, Health and Care Plan Coordinator based within the SEN Team for the Local Authority.
Contact: (01482) 392163
The Local Authority has two services which deal with disagreements in relation to Education, Health and Care assessments and plans. Depending on the type of disagreement determines which service you would use. Both services are independent of the Local Authority, free to access and delivered by Barnardos.
1. Disagreement Resolution Service - will offer disagreements resolution to parent/carers and young people to help resolve disagreements about any aspect of Education, Health and Care provision. More information can be found in the Barnado's Disagreements Resolution and Mediation Service leaflet below including the fours the four types of disagreement.
2. Mediation Service - This service is used for any decision that could lead to an appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Tribunal as follows:
• Refusal to assess
• Refusal to issue a EHC Plan
• Cease to maintain a EHC Plan or Statement
• Disagreement about the description of need, provision to meet those needs and/or placement in an EHC Plan or Statement.
You must consider mediation before appealing in every case apart from an appeal about placement only.
Further information and advice can be found on barnardos disagreement resolution page on the Local Offer
Barnardos DSI Service
Village Farm Business Centre
Holme on the Wolds
Telephone: (01430) 810139 or (0800) 012 1129
Viewing their service leaflet:
Disagreement Resolution and Mediation Service ( pdf, 456kb opens in new window).
For information on what is the different between disagreement resolution arrangements and mediation please view the document below: What is the difference between disagreement resolution arrangements and mediation (pdf 38kb opens in new window)
SEN and Disability Tribunal Service:
For more information on SEN and Disability Tribunal Service and appeals please visit:
Appeal an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan Decision page - Gov.uk website (external website)
Contact number: (01325) 289350
Advice and support:
To find out where you can get support and advice if you are not happy with any aspect of your child or young person special educational provision please view the 'Where do I go for support ?' section below.